Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 02:07:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
To:        java@freebsd.org

Hi,
sorry is this is a stupid question, and yes, I should upgrade to 1.1.8
before asking it, but upgrading over the modem is not that easy and I
thought that I can ask anyway...

Here we go:
I have an applet. I run it on jdk 1.1.6 under 3.2-RELEASe and check some
execution times. Here are the results (we are talking appletviewer)

timer (initial fill): 2167 ms
timer (ellipse fill): 5266 ms
timer (drop): 5172 ms

Now let's try the same under the appletviewer from jdk1.2 Linux port which
runs fine under emulation on my box (except that green threads are very
slow)

timer (initial fill): 487 ms
timer (ellipse fill): 1055 ms
timer (drop): 1015 ms

So Linux emulation gives better performance than netive port? WOuld 1.1.8
do better than that?
off-topic: Would using Linux Netscape show the same order of performance
boost? Right now this applet take 30 (!) seconds under FreeBSD Netscape.
Compare to 1.5 seconds with Windows Netscape and 10 seconds on RedHat...

I would appreciate answer to any of these questions!
thank you!
-m