Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2012 14:05:31 -0500
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com>
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] Ports tree migration to Subversion

On Sun, Jul 08, 2012 at 11:05:29PM -0400, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> pkgsrc is NetBSD's version of FreeBSD ports framework but also ported
> to other, mostly (quasi-)Unix OSes including even FreeBSD.

To correct a misapprehension: although many years ago pkgsrc and
FreeBSD ports shared common ancestry, it is not fair to say that
pkgsrc is their "version".  pkgsrc and FreeBSD ports have different
goals, and to that purpose, pkgsrc has been through multiple major
rewrites and no longer even vaguely resembles FreeBSD ports.  As
well, the FreeBSD ports infrastructure has evolved substantially.

IIUC pkgsrc's major goal is to run on as many OSes as possible, and
to that end has to do a tremendous amount of work to evade those
limitations.  We don't have that problem, nor the bootstraping problems
that are associated.

I'm sure there are many other places where we have diverged.

mcl