Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 09:28:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        sszabo@io.com (Stephan Szabo)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about ypbind

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Stephan Szabo
had to walk into mine and say:

> > > 	We have been attempting to install NIS on a FreeBSD 2.1.5R system
> > > and have run into a problem with ypbind.  When it is run, it dies on a
> > > SIGSEGV.  Going through gdb a bit gave us the following:
> > > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> > > [rest left off for brevity]
> >
> >   Works fine for me.
> >
> >   What params are you running ypbind with?  What kind of server is ypbind
> > binding too (or trying to bind to)?
>
> Originally we were running ypbind -s, and then ypbind with no parameters
> to see if that would work.
> The server is another FreeBSD 2.1.5R system.
>
> The strange thing was that it had worked for a little while, and then
> stopped working, but no changes were made to our knowledge to the
> configuration of either machine.
>
> Stephan Szabo

Probably something did change, but you don't think it's related. This
is often the case. ("Naw, changing the netmask on the ethernet interface
couldn't _possibly_ affect anything.")

You have to describe your system a little better. What is your domain
name? How many domains are there? Are you using virtual interfaces?
Is your system multi-homed? Do you have other clients that work correctly?
Does the server correctly bind to itself? Don't stop there: ask yourself
more questions about your own system and answer them for me. Chances are
that along the way you may discover thr problem.

-Bill, who hates it when people don't give enough details