Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 08:44:16 -0700
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        Juergen Nickelsen <ni@tellique.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, info@boatbooks.com
Subject:   Re: File system gets too fragmented ???

Juergen Nickelsen wrote:

> Graeme Tait wrote:
>
> > In addition, I have a new problem: fsck -n now reports:
> [...]
> > ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
> > UNREF FILE I=48947  OWNER=open MODE=100644
> > SIZE=13109876 MTIME=May 19 21:55 1999
> > CLEAR? no
> [etc.]
>
> It looks like you are running fsck on a read/write mounted file system
> -- at least if you did, it could look exactly like this. (The reason is
> that files may be open, but have no links in the directories; when the
> process that has the file open exits, the file will be freed
> automatically.)
>
> fsck gives meaningful results only on unmounted file systems or on file
> systems mounted read-only, e. g. when booted into single-user mode (with
> the boot flag -s).

Thanks - I see the problem now. There were a whole bunch of ftpd tasks that
were hanging around from aborted transfers. I killed them and the 'fsck -n' is
now OK.

This filesystem has very little write activity apart from periodic ftp
uploads and expansion of the uploaded archives.

Formerly I had set

sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive=1

to clean up these lost souls (why doesn't ftpd time itself out?), but somehow
this got forgotten in a reboot.

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna