Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 08:39:24 -0600
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dell PERC 3 support?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>

> The PERC 3 cards use the aac driver which was only very recently
> MFC'd (it should work with a recent snapshot).  The card should
> work and you can download from Dell a Linux command line tool to
> do some work with the controller (you do need to build a custom
> kernel to use this that does not have aac statically defined and
> load the kld out of /boot/loader.conf (aac_load="YES") to get the
> linux ioctl support (it will not compile statically .. well, I
> could not get it to compile statically :).

Have you gotten an aac card to work under STABLE?  I tried with the
following procedure within a week of the MFC of the aac driver.  Card make
was a HP Netraid 4M connected to a HP rackstorage/12 (6 disks, raid 5):

1) build STABLE kernel on updated STABLE machine
2) grab 5.0 snapshot (4.2 snap had no aac support) install disk, do install
with 4.2 CD
3) on boot, copy 4.2-STABLE kernel with aac support to new system
4) reboot with 4.2 stable kernel, cvsup, make buildworld, buildkernel,
instal, etc.
5) reboot
6) filesystem refuses to mount, "operation timed out..."

During the cvsup operation the system would "pause" for 15-30 seconds for no
apparent reason.  A console switch to a systat -vmstat screen shows the aac
disk at 100%.  They'd stay at 100% and then the process would continue.  I
got the same kind of results during buildworld and installworld.

My guess is that either my install process was too smart for my own good, or
the driver didn't like my card.