Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 18:22:43 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        kriston@ibm.net (Kriston J. Rehberg)
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD vs Linux

>AT&T license that BSD 4.3 and earlier suffered from.  Indeed, I am
>still not sure (after reading all the background on the *BSD releases)
>which of the "big three" BSD releases came directly out of BSD4.4-Lite
>and which releases came from a hacked-apart BSD 4.3 made to resemble
>an "unencumbered" BSD 4.4-Lite without actually having arisen directly
>from 4.4-Lite itself.

   John Dyson and me did the port of the 4.4BSD-lite code that became the
basis for FreeBSD 2.0. It is entirely 4.4BSD-lite - we even threw out
our FreeBSD 1.x source code repository just to be sure that all traces of
Pre-4.4-lite were purged. There are some pieces of code that were developed
in 386BSD and FreeBSD 1.x that still remain (part of the Mach VM system and
some i386 code), but these never had anything to do with AT&T/USL. As far
as I know, we're the only *BSD, with the possible exception of BSDI, that
can honestly claim a complete restart from scratch.

-DG

David Greenman