Date:      Wed, 23 May 2012 00:34:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, luvbeastie@larseighner.com
Subject:   Re: Connect to Clear hub modem

> From owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org  Tue May 22 23:03:03 2012
> Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 22:58:39 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Lars Eighner <luvbeastie@larseighner.com>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Connect to Clear hub modem
>

> This is NOT a wireless question.
>
> I am running FreeBSD 8.3-p1.
>
> I want to connect to Clear Wireless Internet.  I know I cannot do this with
> a Clear dongle, because Clear uses WiMax which is not supported.
>
> Instead I have a Clear hub modem.  I want to connect by ethernet to it by
> wire.
>
> I get this from ifconfig:
>
> re0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
>     options=209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC>
>     ether 40:61:86:e9:96:0e
>     media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>     status: active
>
> But I don't have a clue what to do from here.
>
> The hub is supposed to have a web page at (imaginary address) 192.168.15.1,
> but I haven't been able to raise it.
>
> The handbook has only a couple of references to ethernet, neither of which
> seem to apply here, and seem to be from the point of view of setting up a
> hub server, but the hub is more or less a black box to me.
>
> If anyone has already done this, please explain -- slowly and loudly.

If the 'imaginary' address you gave above, is really something other than
'192.168.5.1', substitute the actual first 3 parts of the 'real' address
for '192.168.5' everywhere below. and the actual 4th part for the .1
address.

This will be a several step process.  Some of the things are 'just
temporary', so you can see how to do subsequent things.

First:  use the 'ifconfig' command to set an IP addreess for your machine,
  so that you can 'see' what the Clear hub configuration is.

   ifconfig re0 192.168.5.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

Also, just for grins, we'll set up a 'default' route, to see if we can
  see the 'world'.

   route add default 192.168.5.1

Now, fire up a web browser, and enter  the 'imaginary' webserver address
in the browser's 'address' space.  hit the enter key.

Tell us what you get, and we can proceed from there.

*Probably*  just enabling DHCP in /etc/rc.conf, on the 're' interface
(that is, adding the following line to that file):

      ifconfig_re="DHCP"

And re-booting is all you'll need.