Date:      Wed, 30 May 2012 14:52:42 -0400
From:      Pierre-Luc Drouin <pldrouin@pldrouin.net>
To:        David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 2:20 PM, David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org>wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> This is off-topic, so please feel free to disregard it, but I'm sending it
> to this list in the hope that it will reach a largish number of users.
>
> I am currently looking at updating some of our advocacy material (which
> advertises exciting new features like SMP support), and before I do I'd
> like to get a better feel for why the rest of you are using FreeBSD.  If
> you had to list the three things you most like about FreeBSD, which would
> you pick?  Are they the same as when you first started using it?

For me it is:

-Stability
-Well-structured OS (i.e. filesystem, kernel and its config, etc)
-The ports system

These are also the elements that made me start using FreeBSD about a decade
ago. So these are mainly consequences of the development strategy of
FreeBSD, as opposed to the free for all approach of Linux. Personally, what
makes me choose Linux over FreeBSD for laptop usage is the very limited
acpi support of FreeBSD (suspend and resume) compared to Linux.