Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 00:56:54 -0800
From:      Marcus Reid <marcus@blazingdot.com>
To:        Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
Cc:        FreeBSD ISP List <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: per-user groups

Hi:

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 09:44:10PM +0000, Jez Hancock wrote:

..snip..
> The solution to this then is to simply add the user
> 'www' to both the groups 'munk' and 'joe' in /etc/group:
>
> <file: /etc/group>
> munk:*:1023:www
> munk:*:1024:www
> </file>
>
> so that the www user, as a member of both the joe and munk groups,
> can easily access the files in /home/munk/web and /home/joe/web as it
> should be able to.
..snip..

Sounds kind of wild to me.. For one thing, if you allow your users to
use CGIs, they can run anything as the www user and be in the group of
all of your other users.

Another way to do almost the same thing is to have the users home
directory perms set to rwxr-x--x. Apache can get to the users public_html
directory, and noone can get a directory listing of another persons home
directory. Users still have to make sure that files they don't want to
be world readable aren't world readable, but it's a solution that suits
my tastes a little better.

Marcus