Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 08:40:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      Rob Zietlow <zietlow@securepipe.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   psmintr: out of sync error messages

Good morning list.  I've come across a weird error.

For the last couple weeks I've come across errors in my dmesg output
saying the following

psmintr: out of sync (0008 != 0000).
psmintr: discard a byte (1).
psmintr: out of sync (0008 != 0000).
psmintr: discard a byte (2).
<snip many lines>

I have a Microsoft Opitcal mouse plugged into my PS2 port.  I looked
around on google and all I found was a discussion where someone was
plugged into a KVM switch, and this  discussion was from back in Jan of
2001.  And aside from a discussion on  Security and KVM's not much
amounted from this.  Last night my PS2 port went on my machine none of
the 10 PS2 mice I have around the house would work. **grumble** and I switched to USB after looking up
various usb mouse tutorials I followed the directions and when I plug in
the USB port I get lots of scrolling and highlighting on my screen, my
mouse flies up into the upper corner of my screen and I see many of the
psmintr messages.  When I try to cat /dev/ums0 I get "device not
configured"  even after running './MAKEDEV ums0'  Mouse works fine via
PS2 without psmintr messages on other 4 machines around the house (3 BSD
4.7 and 1 win2k)

Now my questions.
1) What is cause of the error messages
2) How, if at all can we fix this? I would like to keep my mobo, don't
totally feel like going out to buy a new one, especially if I could get my
mouse to work via USB.

Hardware

MSI 6330 Lite motherboard with Via chipset.  As I said earlier Mouse is
MS opitcal mouse.  Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help, please CC me since I'm not on the list.

Rob

--
Rob Zietlow

There are 10 types of people in this world...those who understand
binary, and those who don't.