Date:      Wed, 05 Dec 2001 00:10:08 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Fabio Miranda <fmirand@yahoo.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: offtopic: assembly

Fabio Miranda wrote:
> I want to understand Why each byte (8 bit of data and
> 1 bit of parity) has one bit of parity?

To permit the hardware to catch single bit errors.

ECC is a better version of this, which permits the hardware to
correct single bit errors, and catch multiple bit errors.

> what makes the difference from 'par' to 'no par'?

A byte had even partiy if there are an even number of bits set,
and odd paroty if an odd number of bits are set.

> What part of
> the program do the requested byte belongs (Code, data,
> stack)?

It doesn't matter.  It all gets checked.

> p.s. Anyone know a site like linux's
> www.linuxassembly.org?
> I want to know the freebsd developer's resources on
> web ( i am not lucky to buy books online and my
> bookstores arent unix-focused:)), i want to understand
> freebsd internals!

There have been a number of programs in assembly published
in -hacers and -current, as well as -alpha (if you are in
need of an Aplha assembly language "Hello World!" program).

-- Terry