Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 16:28:26 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tips for an exhibition booth

Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at> wrote:

> the austrian Linux community organizes a Linux and Open Source exhibition
> in June, called Linuxdays <http://www.linuxdays.at/>. They have offered
> the BSD Usergroup Austria <http://www.bugat.at>; a separate booth and the
> possibility to give a talk about a BSD specific topic.

Go!

> The problem is, noone of us has a lot of experience with exhibitions and
> booths and talks, and we are a little bit scared about presenting BSD in
> such a Linux-centric meeting.

There's no reason to be scared.  I helped organize a BSD booth and
did a BSD talk both at last year's Journées du Libre (Strasbourg)
and LinuxTag (Stuttgart), which are basically Linux events.  The
organizers were supportive, the public interested.

> So I'd like to ask if anyone of you can give us some hints, tips and
> suggestions on booth decoration, talk topics etc.

Judging from experience, booth decoration is not my forte and that's
the same for most people.  Wim Vandeputte really improved our
LinuxTag booth by putting up a plethora of BSD shirts, caps, etc.
OpenBSD has excellent shirts and posters.  You also may want to
have some shirts and CDs for sale.  I suggest having a burner on
location and making CDs on demand.

If you want to give a general presentation of BSD to a crowd of
Linux-savvy users, feel free to recycle my talk:
http://home.pages.de/~naddy/unix/bsdlinux.html

See also my summary about our experiences at LT2K:
http://www.netbsd.org/gallery/reports/linuxtag-2000.html