Date:      19 Jan 2002 20:53:57 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to change a FreeBSD clock time

Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> date(1).  Why would you ever want to change the processor time and not
> the CMOS time?  The CMOS clock is only a backup for the processor
> clock.

Maybe because the OS I use 90% of the time maintains an offset between
the CMOS clock and the OS clock using a sophisticated clock speed
estimation algorithm which is not sophisticated enough to handle big
step changes in the CMOS clock done by other OSes between boots without
being told about it?

That's not my current situation as I dropped Linux cold Turkey and the
clock speed program isn't supported for FreeBSD.  I'm OK with the "date"
method, but I"m not happy that the "date" man page doesn't say what
the command does better than it does.  (It says "date will set the date
and time" and doesn't mention CMOS/MB or OS clocks.)  I've added it to
my list of PRs to be written.