Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 18:22:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Two Questions

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Wayne Lubin wrote:

> Question 2:
> I was learning how to get my floppy drive working, you
> know, mount etc...  I got it mounted and I was in the
> /floppy directory. Did some ls commands and viewed a
> couple of files on the floppy with vi. When I was done
> I did a umount while I was still in /floppy.  When it
> unmounted the floppy, I was left in "no mans land". It
> was acting as if I was not in any directory. When I
> tried a "cd .." the system crashed and rebooted. Now

This should not happen; if you can do this reliably, you ought to file a
PR about it.

> when I boot my system I get the following messages
> right next to each other..
>
> Recovering vi editor sessions
> sendmail[119]: My unqualified hostname unknown;
> sleeping for retry
>
> and then after an annoying 1 min wait(guess it was
> sleeping) it comes back and says it will use the short
> name for hostname, and finishes booting.
>
> First of all, in my rc.conf my sendmail is NOT
> enabled, which seems to mean that some other program
> is trying to access sendmail.

Is it not enabled, or is it disabled? If you don't mention sendmail at
all in rc.conf, your system will use the default from
/etc/defaults/rc.conf, which (on my -STABLE system at least) turns it
on.

> Secondly,in rc.conf I
> have hostname="wayne".  My machine does not have a
> domain name associated with it, so it is not as if I
> can set this variable to anything meaningful.

What you're seeing is sendmail failing dismally to resolve "wayne". Slap
an entry into your /etc/hosts if you keep it configured to run.

Generalisation is never appropriate.