Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 17:18:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        nsayer@sftw.com (Nick Sayer)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RPC not taking the same service twice: a bug or a security measure?

> A coworker seems to have found an issue with portmap on FreeBSD.
> Aparently, if you try and register the same service twice, but with
> different protocols (UDP vs TCP), it doesn't work. I'm not entirely sure
> I believe this, and I am digging for more details, but I am writing to
> see if anyone can tell me anything that will save me having to do the
> investigative work. :-) I'll follow up with more details as I can.

No you won't, because both you and your cow-orker are smoking entirely
too much crack. (Him for hallucinating this problem in the first place,
and you for believing him enough to post this query here.)

Do rpcinfo -p on a FreeBSD host running NFS, NIS, AMD, or whatever,
and you'll see both UDP and TCP entries for each service. If it didn't
work, somebody would have screamed bloody murder about it long before
now.

You don't explain how your cow-orker is trying to register these
services (it's probably a custom RPC application, but he could be using
a hammer and chisel for all we know), nor do you go into any detail
at all about what "doesn't work" means. The correct procedure here
is to take away his crack pipe and pump him for more details, *then*
post here only after you're sure he's not imagining things.

-Bill