Date:      Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:40:56 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, decke@FreeBSD.org, stephen@missouri.edu,  sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu, hrs@FreeBSD.org, avg@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Please test your commits

> On 12.02.2012 22:43, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> >> But still this is an instance of environment where the port can
> >> fail, so it
> >> warrants an investigation and fixing.  Either in the port or in the
> >> redports
> >> infrastructure.
> >
> > Yes, you are correct.  In fact, in the case of math/atlas there is
> > the following report.  It looks like people are working on it.
> >

> > http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portoverview.py?category=math&portname=atlas&wildcard=
>
> I think this isn't directly related. The build on redports had status
> "dud" in
> math/atlas which means the port has set IGNORE. I have no good way of
> telling which
> IGNORE line it is yet but it can only be one of:
>
> You have set WITH_ARCHDEF, but have not defined ARCHDEF
> You must select at least one of WITH_SHARED and WITH_STATIC
>
> both sound strange.

There is nothing strange about them: they just indicate errors arising
from invalid choices of OPTIONS.  The build is more likely to be
broken by MANUAL_PACKAGE_BUILD, which uses IGNORE.

math/atlas is a port that -- except in a few cases -- must be built on
the host machine in a dedicated build.  If you have a port that has a
dependency on math/atlas, then it will not be easy to test that port
via a system like Redports.

With regard to the larger issue, ghostscript is a somewhat awkward
port to check, because: it has many dependencies; it has many options
that are used by a considerable number of people; it is maintained by
a group (although Hiroki usually works on it); and it is widely-used.
Even with a reasonable amount of testing (and Hiroki is usually
careful), it is probable that there will be some occasional problems,
at least when ghostscript is not built in a clean sandbox -- and it
isn't on the live systems of many users. So while it is reasonable to
send a message about a port like this to the list, the message should
also be dispatched directly to doceng, and those making reports or
complaints should be patient, and provide as much useful information
as possible.

b.