Date:      Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:56:23 -0500
From:      Mark Kane <mark@mkproductions.org>
To:        Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Web forum tools -recomendations please

Vizion wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need to install a community forum system running in a apache/freebsd
> environment. Any software suggestions  ideas and or experiences to share?
>
> All contributions appreciated
>
> david

SMF (Simple Machines Forum) is by far the best free one I have come
across. It has tons of features out of the box, a helpful community, and
a nice staff.

http://www.simplemachines.org

I don't think vBulletin is worth the money. After trying SMF I am
kicking myself for purchasing the vB license a year or two ago. SMF also
has the nice database based post read tracking, something that vBulletin
still doesn't even have yet (except in their new 3.5 betas I think). Not
to mention it's 100% free and always will be. vBulletin only gives you a
years worth of updates, and mine expired right before they released tons
of new bug fixes.

Give it a try. The SMF 1.1 Beta 3 is pretty stable too, and has tons of
new features. :)

-Mark