Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 13:15:47 -0600
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACL's

In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.990314121837.5121C-100000@fledge.watson.org>, Robert
Watson wrote:
} On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Peter Jeremy wrote:
}
} > Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org> wrote:
} >
} > >I.e., user creates a hard link to /usr/sbin/somesetuidbin to
} > >/usr/tmp/mytemp.
} >
} > Normal users shouldn't have write permission anywhere on a partition
} > containing system binaries - this also removes the problem.  (Note
} > that /usr/tmp is accessible only by root under FreeBSD).
}
} But many common FS arrangements do use the same partition for a
} world-writable directory and the binaries.  For example:
}
} /var on /usr/var (/var has /var/tmp)
} /usr/local/ on /usr (The tex port requires a world-writable temp
}                      directory)
} /tmp on / (/sbin is usually on /; default install I believe)
} /home on /usr/home (default install I believe)
}
} I like the idea of the FS namespace having consistent
} semantics--counter-intuitive security behavior like "the system is
} relatively secure as long as you don't partition the system in any way
} that allows these files to be on the same partition as these files..."
} seems best to be avoided.
}
} I think hard links are neat, et al, but I really don't think they add any
} new useful functionality above symlinks, and they can certainly introduce
} new problems.  They save a little disk space here and there (as long as
} you don't recursive move anything)...

Symbolic links are a nightmare if you move things around.  They also
won't work across chroot boundaries, and can cause problems across NFS
particularly in environments using the automounter -- if you use
absolute symbolic links (i.e. ones which go through /) you get a surprise
when someone on a remote workstation tries to use them and they try to
reference / on the _remote_ machine.  Use relative symbolic links and
you may get surprises too.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com