Date:      Thu, 01 Feb 1996 12:27:14 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com (Guido van Rooij)
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett A. Wollman), security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [cisco.external.bugtraq] Re: BoS: bind() Security Problems

Yeah, that's what I was thinking to kludge around this for backwards
compatibility.

Paul

  From: Guido van Rooij <Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com>
  Garrett A. Wollman wrote:

  > <<On Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:54:27 -0800, Paul Traina <pst@cisco.com> said:
  >
  > > Yuck, I hate to think of what we're going to break when we fix this, but
  > > we should definitely fix this, otherwise users can hose NFS & friends.
  >
  > Lots of stuff will get broken.  Although, it occurs to me...
  >
  > It should be possible to require that SO_REUSEPORT be specified on
  > both the original and the duplicate sockets.  This way, those programs
  > (like ALL UDP-based servers) for which this is a requirement will
  > still be able to work with a minimum of modification.  We can't,
  > however, require any modifications where multicast addresses are
  > involved.

  Wouldn't it be reasonable to require that the process trying to bind
  to an already used port has the same effective uid as the original
  binder? I think this can be checked via the socket that corresponds
  tothe pcb, via its pgid pointer.

  Of course indeed not in multicast mode.

  -Guido