Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:27:49 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Aaron Smith <aaron-fbsd@mutex.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, wietse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: inetd/tcpd...changing hosts.allow...plus a documentation issue

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 17:49:59 MST, Aaron Smith wrote:

> unfortunately incoming telnet was still denied. at first i tried
> HUPping inetd to reread the hosts.allow, but after looking at the
> source it appears to re-read its information each time hosts_access is
> called. has anyone else had problems updating this file and getting
> inetd to reflect the new behavior?

Inetd reads inetd.conf on startup and on SIGHUP. The hosts_access()
check checks the hosts.allow file on each call.

> i'm looking at it a bit but perhaps a maintainer knows if something is
> being cached here?

The bug that caused inetd to corrupt config on SIGHUP was fixed in
rev 1.50 of inetd.c, which has not yet been merged to STABLE. In STABLE,
LIBWRAP_INTERNAL is not default yet. In CURRENT, it is.

You can expect the internal wrapping fixes and the SIGHUP bugfix to be
merged back to STABLE soon (within a week). I'm in no rush, and I'm glad
I didn't rush, since David Malone has already uncovered a bug in the
handling of maxchild, which I believe is worth fixing before the merge.
:-)

Later,
Sheldon.