Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 15:04:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brad Laue <brad@brad-x.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nasty USB + SMBFS interaction

Pretty simple problem to replicate:

Compile the following into your kernel:

options         NETSMB                  #SMB/CIFS requester
options         NETSMBCRYPTO            #encrypted password support for
SMB

# mchain library. It can be either loaded as KLD or compiled into kernel
options         LIBMCHAIN               #mbuf management library

# Kernel side iconv library
options         LIBICONV

options         SMBFS

Plug a Microsoft USB mouse in and try to mount an SMB share after the USB
mouse has detected. This will return a "no buffer space available"
message. All other networking functions are unimpaired.

Tested this with all but umass compiled directly into the kernel, and no
modules. I will be able to do further tests on monday, e.g. does an
existing share stop responding when the mouse is plugged in?

Disconnecting the mouse does not solve the issue; shares remain
non-mountable.

Using 4.4-STABLE cvsuped to Friday, and smbfs userland version 1.4.1, from
ports, an EtherExpress Pro 10/100, and both Windows 98 and Windows 2000
AS servers.

Let me know if there is anything more I should look for and report.

Brad

// -- http://www.BRAD-X.com/ -- //