Date:      Sat, 20 Dec 1997 13:49:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, nate@mt.sri.com, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu, julian@whistle.com, bde@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bruce vandalism again

John S. Dyson said:
> Jordan K. Hubbard said:
> > > Sorry, but most of us are real-world programmers, who try to keep our
> > > code ANSI.  (Then we have to switch into the mode: Oh yeah, we are still
> >
> > You guys aren't even discussing the same subject here - is it any
> > wonder there's an argument?  John, please go back and read this thread
> > again because you've become lost in the weeds of a non-existant ANSI
> > vs non-ANSI debate.  This is a self-consistency debate here and you're
> > bringing the wrong debating points to the wrong argument. :)
> >
> It should be self-consistant, moving towards ANSI by 3.0.

Gang,
	This is my opinion, but I don't feel well, and my mood is showing.  I
really don't care that much if we are ANSI or K&R, but we should be
consistant.  I think that there should be tolerance for code-in-motion,
like we generally have, but it should be up to the committer (maybe with
prodding from BDE or anyone) to bring the code up to standard, in a
reasonable amount of time.

	It is a mistake to forget about the rest of the world, but all-in-all,
of all of the things that we have to worry about, our adherance to support
of K&R isn't that big a deal.