Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 1997 18:21:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Mitchell <brian@firehouse.net>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, careilly@monoid.cs.tcd.ie, adam@homeport.org, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security Model/Target for FreeBSD or 4.4?

On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> 	in a nutshell,	the security model is
> 		"you must have permission to do something".
> 		the superuser (aka root: uid 0) is can do anything.
> 		command audit trail (logging) is not provided.
> 	the holes have been in the implementation of that model.
> 	the source shows the implementation.  which has been of greatly
> 	varying quality regarding security. ;(
> jmb

I'm not sure that's entirely corrent - superuser, for instance, can not
(with the exception of holes in various subsystems...) lower the
securelevel. I'm not sure what you mean by command audit trail, but
process accounting is available, and is pretty darned close to logging
commands. Stuff like syscall level accounting such as available in sun's
bsm stuff is, unfortunately, not available presently.

Brian Mitchell                           brian@firehouse.net
"BSD code sucks. Of course, everything else sucks far more."
- Theo de Raadt