Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:51:30 +0100
From:      Bengt Ahlgren <bengta@sics.se>
To:        rainer.alves.at.gmail.com@P142.sics.se (Rainer Alves)
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome 2.16 upgrade failed (yeah, I read /usr/src/UPDATING)

rainer.alves at gmail.com (Rainer Alves) writes:

> - For some unknown reason, all my fonts look like crap on
> firefox/thunderbird after the gnome upgrade. All TTF fonts are available
> as before, but there are some serious problems with anti-aliasing &
> hinting, I'm not sure if it's related to the freetype upgrade, or the
> X11BASE->LOCALBASE conversion. I've also tried firefox 2.0rc2
> (www/firefox-devel), same crappy fonts. (all other gnome apps have
> absolutely no font problems).

I don't run the Gnome desktop, but KDE and have the same problem for
all KDE apps in addition to firefox.  To me it looks like sub-pixel
hinting always is off.  (I run amd64 on this box, if that matters.)

(Posted on the kde-freebsd list without getting any response:
http://kf.liquidneon.com/pipermail/kde-freebsd/2006-November/013499.html)

Regards,

Bengt