Date:      Tue, 03 Aug 1999 09:41:01 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Juha.Nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposing argv for klds and preloaded modules

> Juha Nurmela wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> >
> > > Actually... Loader passes a string. It seems the kldcode is passing
> > > argv[]. Juha, you sure you have they both working the same way (from
> > > a module's perspective)?
> >
> > It's splatted together, by just putting ' ' between words,
> > somewhere in there. Search for strbuf
> >
> > Juha
>
> Don't forget, there are zero or more modules per file.  Which one gets the
> arguments?  Coda (for example) is structured so that it has two modules, one
> device (codadev) and one vfs (coda).

This is why Warner's X-resource-like proposal is the only method for
passing parameters to modules that I am likely to accept.

argv/argc and getopt() are just not good enough.

If someone want to implement a simple resource matcher, you could start
by coming up with a tiny, tidy glob() for the kernel.  We can use it
elsewhere as well...

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org