Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:06:29 +0100
From:      Stefano Riva <sriva@alice.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Remote backups

  I'm currently using NFS and tar to backup 3 FreeBSD servers on the DAT
tape drive of a fourth server. I'd like to switch to dump/rdump, but when I
try to issue a dump -f command, it stops after the connection and analysis
of the local filesystem with a "protocol to remote tape server botched
(code "Broken pipe")" error:

local# dump -f remote:/dev/rst0 /var
  DUMP: Connection to remote established.
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Mon Feb 22 14:56:06 1999
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/rda0s2f (/var) to /dev/rst0 on host remote
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 13026 tape blocks on 0.33 tape(s).
  DUMP: Protocol to remote tape server botched (code "Broken pipe").
  DUMP: Lost connection to remote host.

  The local machine is in the root's .rhosts file of the remote machine and
rshd isn't commented out in the remote's /etc/inetd.conf. Of course dump
works well locally.

  What am I missing here?

---

  Stefano Riva
  Software Engineer - Systems Administrator
  Informazioni Editoriali I.E. Srl
  Phone +39-027528400, Fax +39-027528451
  Email sriva@alice.it