Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 10:41:47 +0800
From:      Calvin NG <calvinng@brel.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 8000 and FreeBSD 4.3

Greetings,

  I have a Dell 8000, and I just figured the module part out too
  and got sound working.

  My Way:
  ------
  in /boot/loader.conf, I have a line that says,
     snd_pcm_load="YES"
  This loads the pcm module way in advance, (before kernel, I think),

  then , I have to edit a file /etc/rc.local  (create it if not there),
  and add the following line,
     /sbin/kldload snd_maestro3
  Which loads the sound driver towards the end of system startup.

  BTW, I also have the lines,
     /usr/sbin/mixer vol 45:45
     /usr/sbin/mixer speaker 45:45
  to adjust the volume, so it isn't too loud. The default is about 75:75
  which is way too loud for me.

  I didn't compile "device pcm" into the kernel.

  Correct Way:
  -----------
  Okay, supposedly, you only need to edit /boot/locder.conf,
  and add the line
     snd_maestro3_load="YES"

  It will load the dependency, which is "pcm" correctly.
  It loaded the modules okay, but then I get terrible screeching
  sounds, or static, when I play sound, so it didn't seem quite
  like.

  I figure out after a while that it probably has to do with
  the order of the modules loading (I tried and error by hand),
  and that I need to load the pcm module way in advance, then
  after that load the maestro3 module.

  Tried but didn't work
  ---------------------
  tried this already, in /booot/loader.conf,
     snd_pcm_load="YES"
     snd_maestro3_load="YES"

  tried editing /usr/src/sys/conf/files,
  and added one line as follows,
     dev/sound/pci/maestro.c optional pcm pci
  ++ dev/sound/pci/maestro.c optional pcm pci
     dev/sound/pci/neomagic.c optional pcm pci

  That compiles the maestro3 driver, and detected correctly,
  but get the static too.

  Anyway, the above is what I have tried.
  Good luck to you, Daniel.  Hope this helps.
    ps: Haven't tried any PCMCIA though.
        also, resume is not working for me too, I think
        someone reported it very recently.

Regards,
/calvin

lines with :> are quotes from John Baldwin's email
:>
:> On 14-Apr-01 Daniel O'Connor wrote:
:> > Hi,
:> > I recently got a i8000 for work and so far I am fairly pleased with the
:> > success
:> > I am having. Currently the internal modem and ethernet work, USB works and X
:> > is
:> > running.
:> >
:> > I can't get the sound to work which seems quite odd to me since I can see an
:> > ID
:> > for a supported soundcard when I do pciconf -l (ie a Maestro 3 - 0x1998125d).
:> > I
:> > haven't investigated further than boot -v.
:>
:> The maestro3 requires a GPL'd header so you have to kldload it's module
:> separately I think or some such.
:>
:> > Inserting a PCMCIA card locks the machine solid (I have only tried a CF
:> > adapter
:> > card so far). I haven't played with configuring it either (tips gratefully
:> > received :)
:>
:> Hrm, pccard works fine on my 5000e.
:>
:> > Also, I can't suspend/resume which I am told is because of a BIOS bug which
:> > sucks but there's not much to be done about that :)
:> > (I can induce a suspend/resume OK but when the laptop comes back the fxp card
:> > spits millions of 'SCB timeout' and 'DMA timeout', and it seems the ata
:> > controller wedges, or doesn't reinit the controller).
:>
:> This doesn't sound like the 5000e kernel bug, which panics the kernel as soon
:> as you try to do anything with apm.  The problems do seem to indicate a problem
:> where the hardware isn't being rewoken properly.  Not sure if that is a BIOS
:> bug or a software bug though.
:>
:> --