Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 19:53:37 -0500
From:      Gang-Ryung Uh <uh@sed.cs.fsu.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   fdc0

Dear all,

  I am running FreeBSD 2.1. But I am experiencing one strange
  happening that I didn't have with FreeBSD 2.0.5.:

     My system has a 250M Colorado floppy tape and a 1.44M 3.5in
     floppy disk drive which are connected to NEC 72065B floppy
     controller.

     Following is the kernel config file entry:
     controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio flags 0x1 irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
     disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
     disk            fd1     at fdc0 drive 1
     tape            ft0     at fdc0 drive 2

     During the boot time, occasionally "ft0" can not be probed!!

  Also I have a strange kernel syslog, even though I do not use
  any floppy drives:

     /kernel: fdc0: output ready timeout
     /kernel: fdc0: input ready timeout

  Would you explain why those happen?