Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 20:02:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        core@netbsd.org, ross@netbsd.org, cgd@netbsd.org, core@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Copyright infringement in FreeBSD/alpha

On 10-Jun-98 Jason Thorpe wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:37:09 -0500 (EST)
>  "John S. Dyson" <dyson@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>  > *smirk* I would appreciate credit for my shared VM space work in
>  > NetBSD also.  Of course, the similarities in the code could be
>  > co-incedental, but it seems very unlikely.
>
> This is a MUCH more serious issue than "due credit in a commit message".
> I seem to recall noting that the vmspace sharing code was somewhat based
> on
> FreeBSD's (although it is a little different, and the data structure were
> more-or-less ready for it, and the implementation _is_ obvious) when I
> committed it to the NetBSD source tree...  but _I DID NOT INFRINGE ON
> ANYONE'S COPYRIGHT_... that is the issue.
>
> John: So nice of you to reply in your typical "we love everyone"
> warm-fuzzy
> manner, rather than addressing the SERIOUS ISSUE of a FreeBSD developer
> REMOVING copyright notices from code, copied _verbatim_ (right down to
> the comments), REPLACING IT WITH HIS OWN.

Hi Jason,

I really do not know you.  Just as much as I do not know most of the
others, except for association by e-mail.

I sent you a private note, proposing some cooperation between us on issues
that will matter and benefit us both.

Since I did not receive any reply, I was concerned maybe your e-mail was
not working properly.  I am glad to see that it does.  Now that we have
``proof'' (albeit not legal proof) that your email does work, would you
kindly relate to us your opinion of cooperating.  I think I know your
opinion on code sharing by now :-)

Simon

BTW, What is wrong with viewing the world with ``we love everyone''
attitude?  I, for one love almost everyone. including you :-)

Simon

---

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                           Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG