Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 11:12:41 -0400
From:      MALCOLM BOFF <Malcolm_Boff@compuserve.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Debug kernel by default

I cannot really believe that this is being discussed in a serious
way as a future proposal. While I accept that bugs in the kernel
are notoriously difficult to locate I cannot accept that the majority
of users of FreeBSD really want to have this imposed on them.

I think that this will most certainly give potential business users
the view that the product is in some way *wonky* and to be
steered well clear of.

What other version of UN*X is shipped with such a feature !
Would you buy it if it did ??

I am beginning to wonder where FreeBSD is actually going as
a project as some of the things that have been done on the 3.1
release seem to be moving away from a vein whereby an
"upgrade" becomes the norm and not an "install" as now seems
to be more the case. Perhaps the leaders of the project should =

perhaps spend a little more time looking at "questions" for users
who have had or are having problems with 3.1 or even poll us
with what they intend to do next so at least we provide some
input.

Malcolm G. Boff