Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 12:13:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
Subject:   Re: blocking I.P. addresses/ranges

<<On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:53:35 +0200, Walter Hop <walter@binity.com> said:

>> I know there is a way to block I.P. addresses/I.P. ranges in Linux by using
>> something like 'route add 24.198.54.0 deny' etc... I assume that there must
>> be a similar way to do this in FreeBSD...

> In FreeBSD, you can do this for instance with the ``ipfw'' tool.

Or, without recourse to the packet-filtering code, using:

	route add -net aa.bb.cc.dd -netmask (some mask) -interface lo0 -reject

However, there is an important caveat to doing this: adding such a
route does not prevent the other party from sending packets to you; it
only prevents your machine from responding.  Thus, it does not help
against those attacks which do not require a response.

-GAWollman