Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:08:23 +0000
From:      Michael Ossareh <michaelossareh@onetel.net.uk>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Abit SMP boards under FreeBSD (was Re: dnetc on xeon)

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 03:18:25 -0400
Dale Woolridge <dale-list-freebsd-smp@woolridge.org> wrote:

> On  3-Oct-2002 15:07 Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> | In message <200210031237.g93CbmQR014892@grafin.fujimori.cache.waseda.ac.jp>, Yo
> | riaki FUJIMORI writes:
> |
> | >My question is if anybody of you have experienced similar symptom
> | >on their xeon dual boxes.
> | >In advance, thank you for your attention.
> |
> | Your hardware is not up to snuff.
> |
> | In order of probablity:
> |
> | 1. You were not by any chance overclocking ?
> |
> | 2. Is your powersupply sufficient ?
> |
> | 3. Is your cooling sufficient ?
>

>     I've been experiencing similar problems with my dual p3 (on a vp6) system.
>     I couldn't build a kernel, the world, and some ports (large ones usually).
>     I happened to be running one of the cpuburn port programs (burnBX) to see
>     if it would crap out; meanwhile I was building a kernel.  I was able to
>     build the kernel without these strange compile errors.  Also, burnBX would
>     die (exit status -1), but certainly not predictably.
>
>     In my case, I'm not overclocking (and never have with this board), have
>     no powersupply problems, and have sufficient cooling (my cpus run at
>     about 30-33 celsius).
>
>     A friend suggested disabling my L2 cache, which I did and all my compilation
>     problems have gone away.  Of course, I still can't get SMP up and running,
>     but that's a whole other story (maybe another hardware issue).  At this
>     point, I'm not sure if it's the processor itself (unlikely I'd guess) or
>     a mobo problem (more likely), so if anyone has suggestions I'd really
>     appreciate them.
> --
> -Dale

My Abit BP6 had similar problems, but only whilst I was overclocking.
Thanks to the great guys in #freebsd for advising me to unoverclock
the compile problems went away. I believe the Abit VP6 and BP6 are
quite similar and the chipset runs very hot when in SMP mode, so since
its not a proper server board you might want to invest in some active
cooling for your chipset (usually just has a green heat sink on it).

Michael Ossareh