Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 1996 02:49:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Mario Verville <root@quebecweb.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Mario Verville wrote:

> I would like to know if it exists a Web Server using https (secure http)
> ported on FreeBSD
>
> I use freebsd since January 1996 and like it. I must upgrade my server
> to https but i don't know where i can get a Web Server for FreeBSD that
> implement this function.
>
> Excuse my english but i am a french canadian.

Netscape Commerce Server for BSDi will run under FreeBSD.  This supports
SSL (secure http).  This costs money (A LOT of money), though there is a
Server Test-Drive program currently being offered by Netscape that allows
you to try it free-of-charge for X days.  Look in http://home.netscape.com

The Apache www server 1.0.0 supports secure http through a special "plug
in" module.  Currently this does NOT support any of the "officially"
generated keys by RSA Inc. and other companies, though support will
become available soon.  Apache comes with a "fake" key generation program
that will allow you to generate your own key to test things out until
RSA-generated keys become available.  You'll have to hunt around a bit,
but you can eventually find information (and how to download) this server
at Apache's web site: http://www.apache.org (or was that com?  I forget...)

No matter what server you get, you'll have to buy a public key from
companies e.g. RSA, ViaCrypt(?), etc.  These cost big bucks and must be
renewed every X months.  (Again, Apache comes with a "fake" key gen
program that you can use in a pinch.)

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 / FAX 564-2315 / WWW http://www.geopages.com/WallStreet/2072
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or on Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **