Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:59:36 +0000
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        Nicholas Riley <njriley@uiuc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS install writability on Netra t1 105

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 09:24:02AM -0600, Nicholas Riley wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 08:37:46AM -0600, Nicholas Riley wrote:
> > From looking at boot/loader.conf on the CD, it looks like I'm supposed
> > to get a MFS root, but instead I get a (read-only) NFS root.  During
> > boot I do see this line:
> >=20
> >   md0: Preloaded image </boot/mfsroot> 4194304 bytes at 0xc056435
> >=20
> > and I was able to mount /dev/md0 after startup, but I can't figure out
> > how to get it to be used as a root device.
>=20
> I tried copying over the corresponding portions of the mfsroot to the
> CD-ROM, changing the NFS mount to read-write, and configuring the
> network manually, but sysinstall then tries to install on /, as if I
> were running it on an installed system.  How do I get it to realize
> that I'm doing an initial install, and to mount the target media
> somewhere else?
>=20
> I've seen several reports of people actually using the FreeBSD
> installer on sparc64 (albeit in 5.x versions); is it supposed to work
> still?

I've been struggling with exactly the same issues over the past few
days, but have just managed to get sysinstall running correctly over
NFS from my U5 to a i386 laptop.   I think I was following some outdated
instructions; when I started from scratch with the instructions at=20
http://gja.space4me.com/things/Using_pxeboot_Install53.html I had no
problems whatsoever installing 6.0-RELEASE.

--
Bruce Cran

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2--