Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:47:30 +0100
From:      David Goddard <dmg@procopia.com>
To:        Alex Holst <a@area51.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd source IP for a scan

Alex Holst wrote:

> What's spoofed? Whoever owns 66.22.30.76 has told their DNS server to return
> "host.domain.com" when asked for a hostname.
> Query about 66.22.30.76 for record types PTR
> Name: host.domain.com
> Address: 66.22.30.76

Doh.  Right - didn't occur to me.  Should have done a whois first I
guess.  Looks like these guys have that for the entire netblock.  My
assumption was that host.domain.com really did exist and its IP was
chosen to be the default in some tool.  Better mail them and let them
know they have a possible problem :-)

Thanks (and sorry for the b/w wastage),

Dave