Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:17:25 -0600
From:      Loren Thiel <thiel@genevaonline.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   wd?s?

Hello,
I've got lots of questions that I haven't been able to find answers to.
I understand how wd0 is the first ide drive in the system, but what happens
when you get many DOS partitions on that drive...or many more drives, in
many different places?
I've also had problems in different configurations where the boot.config
file isn't made automatically...if its supposed to be.
I've usually guessed at the boot> prompt until I got it right, but I don't
understand how its supposed to work.
Also, let me make sure I have this straight:
wd = IDE    sd = SCSI  interface
dos partition = freebsd slice

Maybe someone could help me fill in this table I've made up of a
hypothetical system with 4 IDE hard drives.
I've entered my guesses....
Also please tell me if I'm thinking about this all wrong and have no clue.

                  If it was a freebsd slice to boot to
how          where                what              =        /dev/wd?s?
         what would I type at the boot>
----        -------------            ----------
-------------------     --------------------------------------------------
IDE, primary master, 1st dos partition     =     wd0s1
    wd(0,a) kernel
IDE, primary master, 2nd dos partition    =     wd0s2
   can it boot here?
IDE, primary master, 3rd dos partition     =     wd0s3
         or here?
IDE, primary slave, 1st dos partition        =     wd1s1
     wd(1,a) kernel  ?
IDE, primary slave, 2nd dos partition       =     wd1s2
          not here?
IDE, secondary master, 1st dos partition  =     wd2s1
  wd(2,a) kernel?
IDE, secondary master, 2nd dos partition  =     wd2s2
         um?
IDE, secondary slave, 1st dos partition     =     wd3s1
    wd(3,a) kernel?
IDE, secondary slave, 2nd dos partition    =     wd3s2
            ?

What if the system only had:
IDE, primary master, 1st dos partition      =   wd0s1
     wd(0,a)kernel
IDE, secondary master, 1st dos partition  =   wd?s1
      ?
IDE, secondary slave CDROM				= ?

Then what if I move the secondary master to primary slave.....what does
that change?
IDE, primary master, 1st dos partition      = wd0s1
     wd(0,a) kernel
IDE, primary slave , 1st dos partition       =  wd?s1
        wd?
IDE, secondary master, CDROM		 =    cd0?

If the drive is dedicated FreeBSD, then you would omit the "s1"?
I understand that at the boot> prompt, the "kernel" part is the name of
your kernel....could be whatever.
Not sure how the numbers and letters correlate though.
I hope this is clear and everyone can understand what I'm trying to figure
out.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Loren Thiel
thiel@genevaonline.com