Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 1998 23:38:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Subject:   Re: installing boot?

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Now that I could compile -current/alpha successfully I had to reshuffle
> my diskpartitioning on the NoName. This I did using an older (Oct 22 or so)
> Netbsd install flop. I subsequently installed a binary FreeBSD (also an old
> one, the same rev that I used to build -current).
>
> After that all worked, I mounted the -current obj tree using NFS and did
> a make installworld. Went OK.
>
> But unfortunately booting is now a NO-NO:

> (boot dka100.1.0.6.0 -file kernel.GENERIC -flags A)
> block 0 of dka100.1.0.6.0 is a valid boot block
> reading 15 blocks from dka100.1.0.6.0
> bootstrap code read in
> base = 110000, image_start = 0, image_bytes = 1e00
> initializing HWRPB at 2000
> initializing page table at 102000
> initializing machine state
> setting affinity to the primary CPU
> jumping to bootstrap code
>
> NetBSD/Alpha Primary Boot
> Jumping to entry point...
>
> halted CPU 0
>
> halt code = 5
> HALT instruction executed
> PC = 200017dc
> >>>

> I have the distinct feeling (somehow ;-) that I need to re-install the boot
> blocks/bits but I seem to be too dim to get it right.
>
> Pointers on a how-to appreciated,

You should be able to make the disk bootable by doing this:

	# disklabel -B /dev/da0c (or /dev/da1c etc.)

or maybe:

	# disklabel -B -b /usr/mdec/boot1 /dev/da0c

Make sure that /boot/loader exists in the root partition of the disk being
booted (installworld should have made it).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com