Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 22:58:25 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "void" <float@firedrake.org>
Cc:        "Matt Dillon" <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, <Bsdguru@aol.com>, <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: RE: RE: Imagestream WanIC-520 interface cards

We have been told by our rep at Time Warner Communications that those payments
are still continuing.  TW (at least in PDX) does not have enough voice sales
to be able to get on that pig trough and is equally unhappy as we are that the
RBOC's are propping up what are in effect bankrupt CLECs.

I used to have sympathy for the CLECs and their beef that the ILEC's are
screwing everyone by not allowing competition.  But not any more - in our
market the CLEC's charge about 95% of what the ILEC charges for voice
services, so the customers gain nothing on the voice side of the house.
Instead, the way that the CLEC's get customers is by giving away Internet
service for free.  In short, the call termination payments fund the
Internet service, instead of decreasing the cost of the voice service.

Basically, the CLEC's have figured out how to use a poor government
regulation that needs changing to put their competition out of business.
It's no different than what Microsoft does when they use operating system
revenue to fund a variety of unprofitable and destructive ventures into
software applications like web browsers, web servers, ecommerce apps, etc.

The only saving grace is that most of the CLECS are so ignorant when it
comes to networking that their Internet service is so awful that at least
the good customers are staying away from them for now.