Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 21:06:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make World Explodes

Hi Tom Samplonius;  On 11-Jul-97 you wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Simon Shapiro wrote:
>
> > I did.  That is not it.
>
>   Hmm, I just did a "make world" a couple of days ago, and that's all I
> had to do.
>
>   Is there is any chance your source tree is damaged.  Try removing the
> files in /usr/sup, and re-running cvsup.  cvsup will then check every
> file, rather than rely on the database in /usr/sup.

DON'T TELL ME THAT :-(  I do not mind re-creating the checked out version
but re-doing cvsup is a long, painful process.

>   Also, how is the DPT driver coming?

You can track the gory details in the SCSI mailing list;

It runs now on every motherboard that the DPT can live on.  It appears to
be sensitive to some timing problems on the PCI bus.  As long as good
hardware is used andthe networking code is not interacting (appears
unrelated), it is very stable.  We use it routinely on about a dozen
machines, build releases, backup to two tapes simultaneouly (three angered
the SCSI layer in earlier version), and run up to 1048  instances of dd
reading and writing to disk.  Performance with RAID-5 is a constant
8.9MB/Sec writing/reading mix.  RAID-0 is closer to 18-20MB/Sec.

The only other problem is that if you use reboot instead of shutdown (or
maybe shutdown itself), the kernel does not wait for the ``ALLOW MEDIA
REMOVAL'' to complete before resetting the CPU.  DPT uses this SCSI command
to flush and invalidate the caches.  Not waiting for it to finish can leave
``few'' buffers unwritten.  ``Few'' can equal 64MB, which is unpeasant.
It takes about 21-28.5 seconds to flush the caches written by newfs on a
4096MB file system.

Simon