Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 1997 23:56:04 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Monitor shadows?

On Mon, Jun 30, 1997 at 10:20:14AM +0930, Michael Smith wrote:
> Mark Mayo stands accused of saying:
>
> > Hi. I'm noticing a strange thing happening on my computer. At higher
> > refresh rates (above 72Hz), I see what I can only describe as
> > "shadows". For example, the borders of windows seem to have a little
> > grey fading border on the right side. If the mouse is over a simple
> > green background, I can really see the "shadow". It's quite annoying
> > - even the black letters on the white background of my rxvt leave a
> > little grey silhouette to the right.
[SNIP]

> Yes, many times.  It's an indication that you've exceeded the video
> bandwidth of your monitor, either because you are overdriving it
> frequency-wise, overdriving it signal wise (so the input amplifiers
> are driven into clipping), or because the bandwidth has degraded,
> often due to aging of capacitors (particularly electrolytics).

[SNIP]

> > MAG Innovision MX17F G (the one with the LCD thing on the front). Same
>
> I've got one of them; bleagh.  Mostly mine is just fading; it jitters
> a little too, but it certainly isn't ringing or smearing, and I drive
> it pretty hard at times.

Several people have suggested that my problem may just be a crappy (improperly
shielded) VGA cable. I'm going to get a new cable and see if that is in fact
the problem - I would be a happy man indeed if I can fix this problem with
a new cable (read: it won't cost me much!). I'm pretty sure I'm within the
refresh limits of the monitor, since it just shuts itself off and says the
signal is out of range when I try something really high -- I have no idea
how I'd tell if I'm overdriving the thing signal wise (I'm assuming you're
talking about impedence or signal amplitude?). I can't picture how the
ampliers could ever get into a state where clipping would occur, in any
reasonably intelligent monitor (which I would say the MAG is)...

Since you also have the MX17FG, do you happen to know how hard it can be driven?
It seems like I'm the only person in the universe (aside from you) that actually
has one of these things. None of the driver info files I've seen that specify
refresh rates (in AccelX, NT, or 95) have info specific to the MX17FG - only
the "MX17", and the "MXP17F". I lost the manual that came with the thing...
I'm assuming the "MX17FG" that I have is somewhere in the middle, since the
MXP17F is defined as having a max vert. refresh of 75Hz for just about every
frequency. My definitions for the MX17 say it can do 76Hz at 1152x864, but only
70Hz at 1024x768. I know my MX17FG can do 76Hz at 1024x768, but 75Hz is the
max at 1152x864. It's sort of weird, since if I tell it to do 75Hz, it's fine
but and the LCD says it's running at "75.5Hz", but if I try 76Hz I get an
out of range message (at 1152x864). Anyways, if you have some info on this
I'd appreciate it.

Otherwise, I'm fairly happy with the Mag - the Moire effects are quite bad at
times, but the display is crisp and the refresh rates are acceptable. If the
new cable fixes my shadows, I'll be happy!

-Mark

> >  Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
>
> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au             [[
> ]] Genesis Software                     genesis@gsoft.com.au            [[
> ]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile)     0411-222-496   [[
> ]] realtime instrument control.         (ph)          +61-8-8267-3493   [[
> ]] Unix hardware collector.             "Where are your PEZ?" The Tick  [[

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
	University degrees are a bit like adultery: you may not want to
	get involved with that sort of thing, but you don't want to be
	thought incapable.	-Sir Peter Imbert