Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 18:31:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        oberman@es.net
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Annoying gotcha with soft updates

In article <200103052209.f25M9DL22452@ptavv.es.net> you write:

>I believe the problem lies in the way soft updates deals with deleted
>files. It seems to only add them to the free space on a periodic
>basis.

Yes.  Kirk told me that he has a fix for this.  I proposed to him that
the summary information ought to be updated immediately once the
kernel is committed to freeing space, even if the space isn't actually
free yet.  Unfortunately, this leads either to POLA violation
(statfs() claims there is space free but allocations fail) or a
deadlock arising from the way locking is done in the filesystem code.

As a result of some work Kirk did on soft updates for Yahoo! it is now
possible to avoid the deadlock, but the actual behavior hasn't been
changed yet.  I think it should be fixed for 5.0.

-GAWollman