Date:      Mon, 23 Jan 2017 02:24:57 -0500
From:      Sergei Akhmatdinov <sakhmatd@riseup.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building Kernel and World with -j

--Sig_/IdMhN4t3V.fvQqn/KOhu_BE

On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 22:57:46 -0800
Walter Parker <walterp@gmail.com> wrote:
> For decades there has always been a warning not to do parallel builds of
> the kernel or the world (Linux kernel builds also suggest not to do this).
>=20
> Every once in a while, I see people post about 5 minutes. This only way I
> can see this happening is by doing a parallel build (-j 16 on a Xeon
> Monster box).
>=20
> Are parallel builds safe? If not, what are actual risk factors and can th=
ey
> be mitigated?
Not only do I use -j, I also use ccache.

Another option is to use WITH_META_MODE=3DYES, that's where most of the 5-m=
inute
reports come from, I imagine. I haven't used it myself.

My kernel takes 10 minutes with world taking about two hours. I generally j=
ust
leave them building overnight.

The risks of parallel builds are mostly in the past, concurrency was still =
just
coming out and there were chances that something would get compiled before =
it's
dependency, breaking your compile and wasting all of those hours.

Cheers,
--=20
Sergei Akhmatdinov

My GPG public key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys AD800D99

--Sig_/IdMhN4t3V.fvQqn/KOhu_BE

--Sig_/IdMhN4t3V.fvQqn/KOhu_BE--