Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 11:36:06 GMT
From:      "Michael Nolan" <mmikkkk@hotmail.com>
To:        01031149@3web.net, mmikkkk@hotmail.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        nvp@akamai.com, jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Subject:   Re: Floppy installation

Thanks for the info folks,
I booted from the disk (boot.flp) and everything seemed to go fine, except
that it would flash an error (maybe an error, went too fast.About 3-4 words
long) and then went into a reboot loop, repeating the process.
I tried changing the default command manually, pure trial and error, and I
would eventually get "can't find x", where x is whatever I typed. So I tried
stripping down the machine as much as I could, removing the network and
sound cards and trying again... still rebooting.
I think I'm missing something. The only file I have is boot.flp.
Duke mentions mfsroot.flp and kern.flp (below) but I can't find these
anywhere on the ftp sites.
I appreciate any help you can provide.
: After following the instructions I checked the disk and it is blank ,or,
: seems to be blank.

It's not blank.  Don't forget what 'rawrite' does to the floppy.
It doesn't DOS format it; that's for sure.  :-)

You just have to pop the floppy into your drive, and reboot your machine.
DOS can't read the formatted disk but when you boot your machine with
the floppy, you should be able to boot into the FreeBSD installer.  :-)

>After following the instructions I checked the disk and it is blank ,or,
>seems to be blank.
>Is there anything wrong with this procedure?

If you used fdimage correctly, that should work fine.  Since it's not a
DOS disk, and Windows is pretty stupid when it comes to other file
systems, it thinks it's a blank disk and wants to format it.  Just enable
floppy boot option in your BIOS (i imagine a 486 already has it turned on
anyway  ;-)  and boot 'er up!

Michael...

+AHw-After following the instructions I checked the disk and it is blank
,or,
+AHw-seems to be blank.
+AHw-Is there anything wrong with this procedure?

What follows is the procedure that I've recently (and successfully)
used. Modify yours accordingly:

+ACM-1 in DOS+AFw-Windows create the directory c:+AFw-freebsd
+ACM-2 insure (DL or move) that fdimage.exe, boot.flp, and mfsroot.flp
are all living in c:+AFw-freebsd
+ACM-3 format 2 diskettes -- do a full format then label them boot.flp
and mfsroot.flp respectively
+ACM-4 If not in Dos open a Dos Window and place the empty boot.flp in Dr
+ACM-5 cd to freebsd
+ACM-5 type: fdimage c:+AFw-freebsd+AFw-boot.flp a:
+ACM-7 Insert empty mfsroot.flp in Dr A when +ACM-5 is done
+ACM-8 type: fdimage c:+AFw-freebsd+AFw-mfsroot.flp a:
+ACM-9 Insert boot.flp in Dr A
+ACM-10 Exit windows and reboot or if in Dos Alt-Ctrl-Del
+ACM-11 Insert mfsroot.flp when you're asked to
+ACM-12 and Bob's your uncle+ACEAIQ-

Guys....

In my previous post I of course meant to write kern.flp and not
boot.flp. Too many hours hitting the FBSD books +ADsAXg-). Sorry about
that+ACE-

later.....duke