Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 18:29:31 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current is Really Broken(tm)

On Mon, Sep 28, 1998 at 04:19:51PM +0200, Jeremy Lea wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to display my complete ignorance and cluelessness (especially with
> all things related to kernels and devices and booting), by asking a silly
> question. It's sort of related to this thread but sort of not... well at
> least I think so.
>
> On Sun, Sep 27, 1998 at 08:59:02PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Which the kernel has to know anyway, in order to mount things.
> > The structures are there, and they're not going to go away, no
> > matter how ugly their being there is deemed.  Well, until we
> > support discardable ELF section tags for unused kernel components.
>
> Why doesn't the kernel always use an MFS as root? I've seen a ton of traffic
> go by on these lists about the magic needed to mount root partitions, and it
> would seem to me (in my small mind), that using an MFS, like the boot
> floppies and PicoBSD, which would always be a `known' quantity, would make a
> lot of these problems go away.

Yes.

I believe the main reason it doesn't do that is that too many people
believe it too radical.  I know a number of developers (hi phk!) would
like to have the actual device probes controlled from a very small
userland running out of a ramdisk - personally, I think this might be
a good architecture, but as I haven't seen an implmentation yet, I'm
not quite sure.

Eivind.