Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 07:28:45 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.d, and changes to /etc/rc?

On Tue, Nov 17, 1998 at 04:57:00PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Currently /etc/rc is monolithic, but it also only deals
>     with rc.conf related things and has both the /etc/rc.local,
>     /etc/rc.conf.local, and /usr/local/etc/rc.d extensions. I'm
>     not sure how beneficial it would be to migrate /etc/rc to
>     a sysV style startup interface.

All it would be doing is pulling some of the startup code out of /etc/rc*
and in to /etc/rc.d/foo.sh.

I forgot to list another advantage. If a service requires the starting
and stopping of multiple daemons (think NFS for example) then a simple
killall (as far as I'm aware) isn't enough -- you need to go through
/etc/rc* looking for the daemons that are started, kill them, then
restart them in the right order.

If you're doing this while testing things, it gets boring quite easily.

    # sh /etc/rc.d/nfs.sh restart

is considerably simpler, and less error prone (assuming, of course, that
nfs.sh is written properly.

	    C.R.F. Consulting -- we're run to make me richer. . .