Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 23:11:06 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brendan Conoboy <synk@swcp.com>
To:        jgreco@ns.sol.net
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  make world clobbers (was Re: some nice advice...)

> You are mistaken.  Thankfully.  Root had better damn well never execute
> anything if there is the slightest amount of doubt.

Ah quite right, I misremembered.  Root can run shell scripts that're
mode 0, but only by sayign "sh this" or "perl that".

> By definition, one isn't too interested in running "make world" on an
> application-server-platform class machine.  You're looking for a platform
> on which to run some application, and about the only thing you'll ever
> need to patch would be the kernel.  Anything else (bugs in userland) is
> merely an annoyance that you can live with because you didn't need any of
> that stuff anyways.  And if you _do_ need to upgrade, you'll do it from
> a binary distribution, not from source, because you can't really afford
> to have your application server offline for the unnecessary luxury of
> building the world.

Er, don't you upgrade from source when there's a security problem in
userland but no new binary distribution?  I do.

> the same way next time, and that's a bad thing.  So I work very hard
> to minimize any such efforts.

Sigh, was afraid of that.  I did get a suggestion to update /etc/make.conf
from Dino A. Dai Zovi, which I am thankful for.

-Brendan (synk@swcp.com)