Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:17:03 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        "Walter W. Hop" <walter@binity.com>, "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@staff.msen.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Protections on inetd (and /sbin/* /usr/sbin/* in general)

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 10:33:30AM +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:

> I've actually been thinking along the lines of something like that.
> A bit more strict access control though - bind() on AF_INET and/or AF_INET6
> disabled by default, except for certain uid/sockaddr pairs.  A kernel module
> keeping a table of uid/sockaddr pairs, and a userland tool (bindcontrol?)
> to feed it the necessary data.

I think it would be very difficult to do this sensibly. You might
be able to stop people listening on tcp ports, but if you stop
people listening on UDP ports then DNS stops working.

(Stopping people listening on TCP ports is also likely to break
ssh, ftp and various other things - tough that may be desirable
in the situation in question.)

	David.