Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:35:59 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting MAC address?

Doug Rabson wrote:

> Its really not that hard:

 > [code]

Don't get me wrong - it's not hard, and I've done it already, it's just
that I felt there could/should be an ioctl for it :)

Onto another subject: despite the recommendations (thanks!) I wanted to
try the non-bpf,non-ng approach to things (if I fail it'll be a
lesson...). I'm stuck at square one: despite that many other things seem
to work, the most basic part fails:

sock = socket(PF_LINK, SOCK_RAW, /*htons(ETH_P_EAPOL)*/ 0);

it fails with errno 43: Protocol not supported (with either EAPOL or 0
for protocol). My question is: how is PF_LINK meant to be used?

(and, if I'm bothering this list with such questions, please suggest
another :) )

--
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nath Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't
you understand?