Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 10:20:19 -0400
From:      "Cambria, Mike" <MCambria@lucent.com>
To:        "'Doug White'" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Router Discovery using routed(8)

>224.* is the multicast network.  It may not be set up correctly on your
>router(s) but you still have static references in /etc/rc.conf.  Unless
>you're using multicast you can ignore these.

But I can't ignore these.  The router solicitations sent by routed never
hit the wire.  Thus a router is never discovered.  The route table has
just 2 entries, 127.0.0.0 and the one for the local LAN.

It seems that router discovery client is using the route table to find
the "next hop" when it should not be doing so for multicast.

When I use broadcast in lieu of multicast (/etc/gateways configured with
bcast_rdisc) things work.

When I use gated for router discovery client (with multicast) I do *not*
see the problem I described with routed.

MikeC

Michael C. Cambria                        Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                        Bell Labs Innovations
   Voice: (978) 287 - 2807                300 Baker Avenue
     Fax: (978) 287 - 2810                Concord, Massachusetts 01742