Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 06:35:52 -0500
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CDPD modems -- Novatel Ministrel, et al.

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 11:02:12PM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:
> > Unfortunately, Go America STILL has not sent mine.  I am quite pissed,
> > since I ordered it in September.  Now I will miss out on my first major
> > opportunity to use it, while traveling for Thanskgiving.
>
> Go America looked great until I saw the footnote on the "Go.Unlimited
> Plan" -- fixed rate, except: "All plans are subject to a 6 month or 1 year
> contract. An early cancellation fee applies, see Terms and Conditions. An
> additional $0.10/kilobyte fee will be assessed for usage generated by
> non-GoAmerica provided software. "  -- I assume FreeBSD doesn't count as
> GoAmerica-provided software?

Someone told me about this, that supposedly they used a proprietary
proxy thing, so I called them and asked about it.  The person I spoke
to said that is no longer correct; at one time they had a plan that
used a proxy (and still do, but it's being phased out).  We actually
had a nice chat about FreeBSD, and he insisted that there were no
additional fees or surcharges with the unlimited plan.

I could have been given wrong information, but in any case, you may
want to call them and ask the same questions.  My concern at the
moment is whether I will EVER receive the card.  They told me three
weeks ago that it would ship in two weeks and that someone would call
me when it did ship.  Still nothing.

> BAM appears to have a fixed rate CDPD in my area, although it looks like
> the Mobitex/BSWD coverage is better (slower though).  I guess I still
> haven't found the ideal wireless solution, although I'm really leaning
> towards the Ministrel/Merlin product + BAM fixed rate CDPD--I'm a little
> concerned by the "low" coverage level around Amherst, MA and South Hadley,
> MA, and wish I had some information to let me know what kind of quality I
> can expect!

There's some information on the net about building a cable to connect
the Novatel Minstrel (snap-on CDPD for PalmPilots) to a serial port.
I have a friend with one of these (the same lucky bastard who managed
to get a Merlin a few weeks ago), and I've had the opportunity to play
with it with FreeBSD.  It worked on the way back from Boston to New York,
until almost exactly the moment we entered Connecticut.  I've also used
it in Valley Forge, PA, where coverage seemed quite good.

All in all, CDPD is very slow and often involves annoying packet loss
and moving around the room, fiddling with the antenna, etc. while
hoping your telnet doesn't time out.  I couldn't imagine trying to
browse the web with it.  I expect my main use will be something like
IRC from the laundromat and to get my e-mail if I happen to go to
a city where it works.

> I'd also like to hear positive confirmation on what is required to
> configure a CDPD device under FreeBSD -- i.e., "it is on sio0 and you can
> use slip as follows..." -- CDPD seems to involve network ids and I'm not
> sure how you feed that to FreeBSD.

With the Novatel products, it seems to be important to disable VJ header
compression or the PPP handshake fails.  Other than that, I found that
(with the Minstrel anyway) it was mainly a matter of getting the right
AT commands (I think it's AT\APPP or something) and discovering that
user PPP didn't work, but pppd did.

That was all with the Minstrel.  My only experience with the Merlin
was about 15 seconds.  Just enough to see if it was usable under
current with the new pccard stuff, which it was.  It was responding
to AT commands, but I wasn't in a spot where CDPD worked, so I can
only assume that the PPP does work the same as their other products.
For further encouragement, see the Macintosh setup instructions on
Novatel's web site (it's basically just setting up PPP).

I think the real trick will be finding out how they get all the status
information that is supposedly available from the Windows software
that comes with it.  I highly doubt that they break into the serial
stream and keep jumping between PPP and command mode, so there are
probably other registers on the card.  My experience with CDPD
suggests that it would be helpful to have a signal strength meter to
aid in wandering around the room, hanging from the ceiling, etc. while
trying to get a connection.
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/